Taming your periods with naturopathy
Today, we are taming phase 1 of the hormonal cycle : menstruation or the menstrual phase. Day 1 to Day 6 (also called winter). We hibernate, we rest.
It is a phase of introspection, of contemplation where one creates a vacuum, which promotes a period of renewal and letting go. In general, during this period, we go straight to the point!
Our hormones cause the elimination of the uterine lining which was there to accommodate a potential implantation. The endometrium decays, that's actually our period. As there was no fertilization, the blood formed by the endometrium must be evacuated and the body causes cramps or contractions precisely to eliminate this mucous membrane which no longer has any place to exist.
At this time, you have to pay attention to your iron level ; we will therefore favor foods rich in iron. Iron is responsible for transporting oxygen in our body. A lack of iron therefore causes a drop in energy, because it decreases the oxygenation of the body.
What to eat?
Foods rich in “heme” iron : black pudding, livers, winkles, seafood, fish, mussels, oysters, sardines, shrimp, duck, beef, lamb, chicken.... If you sometimes eat seafood, know that there is more iron in clams, cockles, mussels than in red meat.
Foods rich in "non-heme" iron : less well assimilated by the body: cereals, legumes, oilseeds, but also in certain fruits. Legumes, tofu, eggs, spirulina, wakame, chia seeds, sesame, wheat germ, watercress, dandelion, broccoli, green beans, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, green cabbage, parsley, spinach, fennel, apricots, figs, plums, sunflower/chia/sesame/pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, sesame puree, blackstrap molasses, whole sugar, cocoa powder, millet.
The main plant sources of iron are algae which hold the record for iron richness.
Here are some ideas of what you can test:
→ There are seaweed tapenades (like the Marinoe brand)
→ Algae such as spirulina which is a fresh water algae very rich in iron, amino acids and chlorophyll.
Warning: spirulina should not be consumed permanently or for too long, so as not to tire the kidneys, take weeks without it.
There are contraindications in case of anticoagulant treatment and cancer.
To optimize your iron intake:
- We take Vitamin C
- Promote soaking, rinsing, sprouting and fermentation of food.
- Avoid tannins from alcohol, tea and coffee
- The stinging nettle is the plant richest in iron as well as in silica, which serves to promote its assimilation
And if we are really exhausted; take a blood test to check that your iron level is not too low. In this case, you can make cures to raise your iron reserve (duration of 3 months in general) There are natural supplements that have no side effect on digestion...
There are also plants that help regulate heavy periods.
- You can think of relieving bleeding with Shepherd's Purse which is a plant known for its anti-hemorrhagic action against bleeding and heavy menstruation.
- Take vitamin K which promotes coagulation, with an antihemorrhagic effect. It is found in leafy green vegetables, organ meats and fermented products.
But it's not just the iron that comes into play at this point:
- Eating light meals with herbs aids digestion.
- The magnesium intake helps muscle relaxation and promotes the transmission of nervous messages.
- Promote the supply of B vitamins : they are cofactors in many interactions and reactions in the body, especially with magnesium. For example, B6 promotes the assimilation of Mg but also in the synthesis of neurotransmitters (serotonin, dopamine, etc.). They are found in semi-complete cereals, meats, yeasts, wheat bran, raw spinach.
- Prioritize fiber and omega 3 while avoiding bad fats which are pro-inflammatory.
- Hot drinks are also recommended, they will come to calm the tensions.
- Anti-spasmodic plants such as lemon balm, marjoram, sweet clover, feverfew and basil…
And as always, we also drink a lot of water to facilitate elimination, but also to avoid dehydration ;)
You can find phase 3, in our article "Why I have a high libido when I ovulate" .
Article written by Anne Guillerm, founding naturopath Les naturaux Trained and certified by the EURONATURE school, approved by FENA (Federation of Naturopathic Schools) and OMNES (Organization of Natural Medicine and Health Education). Anne is a naturopath and offers natural support to optimize your health capital. It is a helping relationship on the physical level as well as on the mental and emotional level. Anne considers the whole being in order to understand each person's path, to better identify the cause of imbalances and to offer support adapted to each person for all types of problems (hormonal imbalances, libido, etc.).
Nice to meet you
Welcome to Gapianne
We are 4 friends: Jen, Victoire, Anne and Marine. Like the 34 million French women, we have encountered various issues related to our intimacy. That's why we created Gapianne, a shop that offers the best organic, Made in France and non-toxic solutions for health, as well as detailed resources to support you. We met ?